near Falkland
Im Grumpy. I spent the morning writing the blog and lost it. AAARRGGHHH
The gremlins have arrived. I cannot turn this photo 😆😆
Thanks to Margaret Miller and Margaret Nikolic for organizing
and doing the recce for today’s walk.
Nine of us headed for Falkland in three cars and we
met up in the main car park. Falkland was very busy and parking places were
like hens' teeth. I wish I’d taken a speeded-up video for YouTube. Several of
us pointing, calling and giving best advice to the drivers about spaces which
were about to become free. There were many circles made of the car park, 3/5
point turns, and a couple of illegal parking places occupied by two of our own !
Eventually, we set off, Margaret Miller leading us
down the High Street/East Port and across the busy A912 into the countryside.
Right away we were flanked by fields of gold. With the Lomonds behind us, it seemed like we were making for Newton of Falkland, but none of us was exactly sure. There was a sign which said Laigh Road (checked the Scots dictionary later – it means ‘low-lying’) so we opted for that. It was a glorious day for a walk and the agricultural landscape all over the Howe of Fife was beautiful. This part of the county is famous for farming and produce is plentiful ; fruit, vegetables and all kinds of grain. I snapped a pic through the trees when I saw the combine harvester at work.
People suffering from hayfever would be most uncomfortable, but the rest of us absorbed the good company, conversations, exercise and the beauty of God’s tapestry surrounding us. I think Cupar’s vast rolling farmlands must balance out the ecological footprint of Fife. 👏👏
There were no benches though. And not even a wall on which to
rest our rears, so by the time we were on the return section of the circular
walk, we were peched and thirsty.
We had booked the Covenanter Hotel for our refreshments,
and we were politely served teas and coffees and yummy fruit scones. A fair
price was paid. We set the date for our next walk – 13th September –
and suggested that, if suitable with the owners, we’d like to visit Margaret
Simpson’s cottage at Kettlehills.
On leaving, we surveyed the square. I always thought it is an
impressive town square for a wee place like Falkland. There’s the Church of Scotland
for starters (sadly just put up for sale) built by one Onesiphorus
Tyndall-Bruce. No kidding. He was also responsible for the Bruce fountain slap
bang in the middle of the road. Really awkward to manoeuvre your car around. And
a monument in his memory stands beside the kirk. By far the most magnificent
buildings are the 13th century Falkland Palace and gardens. The Palace
has an extraordinary history which I ought to, as a Fifer, have a sound
knowledge of. But it’s sparse. Currently, and after a long connection with Stuarts,
the Palace is under the stewardship of Ninian Stuart, and the upkeep is the
responsibility of the National Trust for Scotland. There is still a Catholic
worship service in the chapel within the Palace every Sunday.
And the last notable landmark in the square is the 18th
century Covenanter Hotel. I always thought there was something Presbyterian
about this building but after researching, I see that it has actually always
been a pub. It was used in the TV Outlander series of late, so it has become a
hostelry of some fame.
Back to the present, it was time to return home. We said our
wee prayer in the carpark and asked God to hold us in the palm of his hand until
we meet again.
Update…update….update
Margaret is delighted that the walkers would like to visit
the cottage 👏



Comments
Post a Comment